It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas… Santa along with his reindeer friends and elf helpers are getting prepared to join in with all the festive fun going on across Bridgend County Borough this year!
Friday 22 November:
- Bridgend United Church: Adding to the holiday excitement, Bridgend and Porthcawl Fundraising group for Marie Curie are hosting an evening of crafts, songs and refreshments at Bridgend United Church. From 7:30pm until 10:30pm, “Sounds Familiar” a choral group from Porthcawl will be entertaining whilst visitors can browse the Christmas themed craft stalls.
Saturday 23 November:
- Bridgend White Christmas: Santa Claus along with his reindeers will be flying in for a tour of Bridgend town centre on Saturday 23 November at around 11am and stopping outside Carnegie House, Wyndham Street for selfies before his grotto opens at 12noon until 4pm. Entry to Santa’s grotto will cost £6 and includes a gift and a photo opportunity with Santa, he will also be at his grotto on Saturday 30, 7 and 14 December. You can book in advance through the Lions Club of Bridgend. After a busy afternoon in his grotto, Santa will join the parade through Bridgend before the Christmas lights get switched on at 4.15pm in the town centre.
- Santa’s grotto at Carnegie House: Don’t worry if you are unable to join in with the festive fun on Saturday 23 November, Santa will be returning to his grotto on 30 November, 7 December and 14 December from 10am until 4pm.
Thursday 28 November:
- Cornelly Songbirds Christmas Lights Singalong: In what will be a first for Cornelly, the newly formed Cornelly Songbirds ladies choir have teamed up with local school choirs and the Harlequins Marching Band to perform in the square next to Seasons Cafe, joined by Santa and local children who will turn on the Cornelly lights. Santa will be coming, there will be food and drink available and a raffle in aid of Sandfields Self Help Centre, a true community event and all are welcome.
Friday 29 November:
- Porthcawl Jingle Bell Parade: Christmas in Porthcawl officially begins at the Jingle Bell Parade! From 3.30pm there will be live music, food stalls, children’s rides and a Bridge FM stage – fun for all the family. The parade begins at 6pm at the top of John Street featuring the Porthcawl Christmas Brass Band and Santa himself will be making an appearance and joining the parade.
- A Merry Little Christmas with Only Men Aloud: Only Men Aloud will be joined by Sophie Evans at the Porthcawl Grand Pavilion on one of the stops on their UK tour this winter!
Saturday 30 November:
- Maesteg Christmas Parade: The parade marks the beginning of Christmas in Maesteg! Christmas lights will be switched on at 4.30pm in the town centre with a firework display to follow!
- Green Santa – Bryngarw Country Park: Visit the only Green Santa in South Wales, wearing his traditional green robes in an enchanting setting. Tickets are £15 per child and adults go free – booking is essential! Included in the price is craft making, a meeting with Santa and a bespoke Green Santa toy to take home.
Sunday 1 December:
- Green Santa – Bryngarw Country Park
From Saturday 7 December:
- Wooden Reindeer Trail – Bryngarw Country Park: Santa has lost his reindeer; can you help him find them? On the 7, 8, 14 and 15 December, you can join in the outdoor family fun at Bryngarw Country Park. Collect a map and some reindeer food from the visitors centre and head out on the trail to find the reindeer – collect a sticker for each reindeer you find and head back to write and post a letter to Santa! This event runs from 11am until 3pm on the dates specified with a cost of £3.50 per child. This event is pay on the day with cash only.
Sunday 8 December:
- Christmas Coastal Crafts: Pop along to the Beach Academy at the Rest Bay Watersports Centre from 11am until 1pm to join in using natural coastal materials to make Christmas decorations and gifts. This event is suitable for all the family.
- Porthcawl Christmas Cracker: The festivities continue in Porthcawl with the Christmas Cracker event happening from 11am until 4pm in John Street, John Street Car Park and Walk About Parade. There will be a pop up Christmas market, street food stalls, children’s rides, Santa’s grotto, Porthcawl Christmas brass band and lots more.
From Saturday 14 December:
- Snow White: From 14 December until 5 January come along for the fairest pantomime of them all this festive season at the Grand Pavilion Porthcawl.
Wednesday 25 December:
- Christmas Morning Swim: The 55th annual Christmas morning swim is happening at Coney beach in Porthcawl. This year’s chosen charity is Alzheimer’s Society Cymru and the theme is ‘A Trip Down Memory Lane’ where you’re invited to dress up as a Christmas memory that stands out for you – fancy dress is not mandatory. From 11am there will be carol singing in the Hi-Tide with ‘Solid Brass’, swimmers can register from 10.45 until 11.15am and then from 11.45am swimmers are welcome to brave the winter waves!