Bridgend county borough residents who are unable to work because they have been told to self-isolate for up to 14 days can now apply for financial support from the Welsh Government.  A £500 fixed payment will be available to people who have been asked to self-isolate since October 23 because they have tested positive for Covid-19 or because they have been identified as a close contact by the NHS Wales Test Trace Protect (TTP) service.  The payment is available to employed residents who are unable to work from home and would lose income as a result of self-isolating. To be eligible, people must be self-isolating and in receipt of Universal Credit or another specified benefit.  In exceptional circumstances, discretionary payments of up to £500 will be available to other employed residents who are not getting any benefits but are self-isolating and at risk of financial hardship.

Residents can apply for the payments using a form on the Bridgend County Borough Council website, which will be available from 3pm on Monday, November 16.

Bridgend County Borough Council leader Huw David said: “This vital funding will bring some relief to residents on low incomes who are struggling financially after being told to self-isolate.  It is important that residents who are asked to self-isolate do so to help break the transmission of Covid-19 in their communities but for some, it could mean a loss of income. These new support schemes will assist those facing financial pressures if they are asked to stay at home.”

Applicants can apply on behalf of someone else but the payment must be paid into an account in the name of the person who the application is being made on behalf of. People in the same household can each make an individual application if they meet the eligibility criteria.  Eligible residents must make a claim up to 14 days after their period of self-isolation ends. The scheme does not cover people who are only notified that they should self-isolate via the NHS Covid-19 app; or are self-isolating after returning to the UK from abroad, unless they have tested positive for coronavirus or have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by TTP.

If you can’t access the Self-isolation Support Payment form online, you can call 01656 643643 for advice.