Torfaen Council is seeking to appoint an independent member to sit on its Governance & Audit Committee from May 2022.
The committee’s functions are to oversee and seek assurance in relation to council’s affairs, the authority’s risk management, internal controls and corporate governance arrangements.
You will also oversee the council’s audit arrangements and review its financial statements. The committee meets quarterly, usually during office hours, with other meetings as and when required.
Hours can vary and the salary ranges from £105 to £268 per meeting, plus traveling and subsistence expenses. Applicants will be measured against the following criteria for appointment which have been established by the Council:
- Political independence;
- Knowledge and preferably experience of local government and/or other large organisations;
- The ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of legislation and guidance relating to local government finance;
- Understanding of financial and performance monitoring systems;
- Experience in a role with public accountability;
- Ability to challenge the Council in relation to its performance and financial management processes in a fair and consistent way;
- To understand and respect confidentiality;
- Personal and financial integrity;
- Effective communication skills;
- Not a close relative of any councillor or employee of the council and/or in a business relationship with the council;
- Experience of weighing information and evidence to reach a conclusion.
Applicants should apply giving details of your background and experience to Delyth Harries, Monitoring Officer and Assistant Chief Legal Officer by the 1st of October 2021.
Delyth Harries, Monitoring Officer and Assistant Chief Legal Officer, Torfaen County Borough Council, Civic Centre, Pontypool, NP4 6YB