In March this year, the Welsh Government announced a £152m fund to provide a £150 cost-of-living payment to eligible household and an additional £25m to provide discretionary support for other purposes related to living costs.
Bridgend County Borough Council has bene developing its systems for this new scheme to ensure the payments are sent out as smoothly as possible, and residents should expect the payment to arrive in May 2022.
Residents in council tax Bands A-D who currently pay their council tax by direct debit will receive the payments automatically. Those who do not pay by direct debit will be contacted and advised to register for the payment – details of this will be released in due course.
The schemes are intended to provide support as Wales recovers from the Covid-19 pandemic and support households to deal with the impact of increasing energy and other costs.
A household will qualify for this payment if:-
- They were in receipt of support through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme on 15 February 2022, regardless of the valuation band in which their property is placed,
If a household is occupying a property in council tax Bands A-D and they were:
- Liable for council tax on a property on 15 February 2022;
- Not in receipt of an exemption
- In occupation of a property on 15 February 2022 and at date of determining award;
- Living in the property as their main or primary residence;
- Responsible for paying the associated utility and other regularly incurred bills for the property. Local authorities administering the scheme will be able to make the reasonable assumption that households liable to pay council tax are also responsible for paying the utility and other regularly incurred bills.
Households living in properties which attract a disability adaptation band reduction are eligible for a payment in the following circumstances e.g. a property which has been valued as Band E but which received a disability adaptation band reduction to Band D is eligible.
Each household is restricted to only one payment of £150.
Details of the discretionary scheme will be published when they are agreed.