If you’re dreaming of becoming a hairstylist, you’re going to need some essential equipment. Whether you’re just starting out or you’re looking to update your kit, these are the six pieces of equipment that every aspiring hairstylist needs! Logically, the equipment you have will have the purpose of making your job easier. However, not all of the equipment is necessary for every hairstylist. You may find that you only need a few pieces or that you need different pieces as your career progresses.
6 pieces of equipment every hairstylist should own
Being a hairstylist requires having the proper tools to execute flawless hairstyles. From shears to combs, there are a lot of things that can make your job a lot easier. Whether you are in need of a pair of scissors that are best for cutting hair, to a comb that will help you with detangling, each piece of equipment you use can help you achieve the goal your customer wants. In addition, this equipment will make your work easier as you will be able to achieve the hairstyle with fewer tries.
1. A good pair of scissors
A good pair of scissors is an absolute must for any hairstylist. You’ll need a pair that is sharp and precise so that you can make clean, precise cuts. Look for a pair with comfortable handles that fit well in your hand. This will help you avoid fatigue and make it easier to control the scissors. There are a few different types of scissors that you may want to consider investing in:
- Cutting shears: These are the most common type of scissors used by hairstylists
- Texturizing shears: These scissors have a toothed blade and are used to create texture in the hair
- Thinning shears: These scissors have a serrated blade and are used to thin out thick, heavy hair
2. Professional Quality Hair irons
Hair irons are another essential piece of equipment for hairstylists. They can be used to create a variety of looks, from sleek and straight styles to bouncy curls. You’ll want to invest in a few different types of hair irons so that you can create any style your client wants.
- Curling iron: A curling iron is used to create curls or waves in the hair
- Flat iron: A flat iron can be used to straighten the hair or create sleek, smooth styles
- Crimping iron: A crimping iron is used to create textured, wavy styles
3. Hair dryers
Hair dryers are an important tool for hairstylists, as they can be used to help style the hair or speed up the drying process. When choosing a hair dryer, look for one that is lightweight and has adjustable heat and speed settings. This will allow you to tailor the hair dryer to your client’s individual needs.
4. A set of various combs
As a hairstylist, you’ll need a variety of combs to help you style your hair. Look for combs that are made of different materials, such as plastic, metal, or wood. Each type of comb has its own advantages and can be used for different purposes.
- Plastic combs: They can be used for purposes such as detangling, styling, and sectioning the hair
- Metal combs: Used for a variety of purposes, such as styling and creating waves or curls in the hair
- Wooden combs: Used for detangling, styling, and massaging the scalp
Brushes are another essential tool for hairstylists. They can be used to style the hair, add volume, or create waves and curls. When choosing brushes, look for ones that are made of different materials, such as nylon or boar hair. Each type of brush has its own advantages and can be used for different purposes. Furthermore, you’ll want to invest in a variety of brush sizes so that you can create any style your client wants.
- Nylon brushes: They can be used for a variety of purposes, such as detangling, styling, and adding volume to the hair
- Boar’s hair brushes: They can be used for a variety of purposes, such as detangling, styling, and creating waves or curls in the hair
6. Hair products
Hair products are an important part of a hairstylist’s kit. They can be used to style the hair, add shine, or protect the hair from heat damage. When choosing hair products, look for ones that are tailored to your client’s individual needs. For example, if your client has dry hair, you’ll want to use products that add moisture and hydration to the hair.
Now that you know what equipment every aspiring hairstylist needs, it’s time to start shopping for your own kit! Invest in high-quality tools and products so that you can create beautiful styles for your clients. From scissors and hair irons to brushes and hair products, make sure you have everything you need to get started in your new career.