One of the most important aspects of delivering sustainable products and services is ensuring sustainable packaging. This helps attract consumers and provides the needed protection for the products. Sustainable packing refers to packing goods in a way that can be recycled. It uses low effect production methods and raw materials. In turn, this makes it possible for natural resources to be conserved for future generations. The packaging should also be safe for people and their surroundings. Sustainable packaging should be recyclable, removable, renewable, reusable, and reductive.
In Wales, sustainable packaging is amongst the leading innovations. Its huge impact is in the confectionery, health, food service, and beauty sectors. A broad range of sustainable packaging products has been established. Examples are folding cartons and paper straws. Industry specialists with expertise are now producing sustainable packages, which meet customers’ specifications while taking care of the environment in Wales.
The Welsh government is at the forefront of the rise of sustainable packaging. This is because it has invested billions in the sector. This development could reduce the high reliance on manual labour from industries like beverage, food, and packaging. This move will place the industries in another new era. New processes that incorporate new technologies are being developed to eradicate single-use plastics.
The damage experienced from single-use plastic containers like plastic cutlery and takeaway food packages is considerable. To solve this, the Welsh government is going beyond recycling them and banning them. Some of these packages and plastics include:
- Carrier bags manufactured from oxo-degradable plastics
- Beverage and food containers manufactured from expanded polystyrene
- Cutlery and plates made from expanded polystyrene
- Balloon sticks
- Cotton buds
Plastic pollution negatively impacts Wale’s coasts and beaches. This can, in turn, pose a danger to marine life. The newly imposed rules of banning some plastics eradicate litter and ensure valuable resources are kept in the system. Once this is eradicated, waste amounts transported to landfills will be greatly reduced. In order to achieve packaging sustainability, Wales has set the following miles:
2050: Achieving Zero Waste
By 2050, Wales aspires to have all wastes produced recycled or reused. This is to be done without the use of any landfill. The wastes produced will be managed and reduced in a manner that saves natural resources. This implies that recycling will be maximized and residual wastes minimized.
In this move, the government will support Welsh businesses to produce sustainable packing materials. The additional costs realized by these businesses in this bid will be used by business owners to increase eco-friendly packaging. This will position the businesses on a competitive edge.
Actions Proposed to Make Wales the Lead in Sustainable Packaging
The rise of sustainable packaging is a result of the following proposed actions:
- Bring into realization manufacturer’s needs. This is through reducing costs for packaging bags. The additional costs could be used to boost business performance in different industries.
- Champion the use of sustainable packaging to lower corporation’s resource consumption and footprint. This is through the use of recyclable materials to manufacture packages
- Investing in the use of clean technologies. This will lead to best business practices and perfect control measures. Again, this will see no emission wastes from vehicles and other related infrastructure.
- Facilitated community and individual’s wellness and safety
- Eliminate all single-use plastics. This is geared towards making Wales the leader in sending zero plastics to landfill
- Establish more effective use of food
- Prioritizing buying of wood, recycled and remanufactured content in the commodities the public sector buys
- Sensitizing citizens to collectively participate towards packaging sustainability
- Taking full obligation on Wale’s waste to prevent it from being exported to cause problems elsewhere
Packaging sustainability has been prioritized in Wales for several years. It’s known to have been on the forefront in imposing penalties on any plastic packaging in 2011. It could be a zero-waste nation even in the midst of the 21st century. Due to this ambitious dream, many businesses are looking for new and innovative ways to generate minimal waste. Welsh government and citizens are adjusting to support them. Customers already use recyclable containers when buying some goods like washing liquids and corn flakes. These eco-friendly practices are important to the consumers who’ve taken an extra step to boss bathroom bottles and ace aerosols.
In essence, recycling of waste products has transitioned Wales to lead in recycling. The reduction of plastic packaging, especially those associated with a single-use, has seen the rise of packaging sustainability. Consequently, environmental pollution has been greatly reduced. This isn’t only beneficial to the surroundings but also people’s health.